Greetings Shimmering Souls! I have so much to tell you all. Remember a few weeks ago when I said Yoga to Go would be slowing down with teaching? Well, as soon as I mentioned that on the blog oodles of new opportunities started flowing my way! I am now the proud yoga teacher at Appalachian State University Health Promotions for Faculty & Staff (what a mouth full!) and I couldn’t be happier. I was able to teach my first class there on Wednesday and although it wasn’t the largest attendance I’ve ever had, it felt so good to have my own space! I’ll be teaching there on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-2 so if you know anyone who works for ASU, tell them to come promote their health and spirit in my yoga class! Mats, props, music, and lots of new yummy vinyasas will be offered every class. Just bring your self, maybe some water, and your breath!
Another new happening at Yoga To Go is my internship with….drum roll….Through Healing Eyes! I officially started work today, and up first on the agenda was to make them a shimmering blog that was as beautiful as they are. Check out the link above to see the new blog and please comment and subscribe! So, I’ll be writing for them as well as assisting many of Katheryns amazing yoga classes and so. much. more. If you’re in the Hickory, NC area you can come practice with us too! Here’s a link to Katheryn’s weekly class offerings. She is phenomenal…if you get the chance, come visit! I couldn’t have dreamed up a better internship with nicer people. Through Healing Eyes..here I come! :)
I’ll also be graduating from my Health Promotion program at ASU in December and I can’t tell you how excited I am to put all the knowledge I’ve collected to good use. The past few days have been full of new beginnings and joy and I look forward to sharing all my new endeavors with you! Thank you for stopping by and reading…your comments and emails mean the world to me!
What has brought you joy this week? Whatever it is (big or small), I invite you to just sit beside it for a bit…and smile! Remember that if you dream it you can become it. Start now and manifest your joy! Would you like a joy cupcake? :)
I hope you’re having a beautiful weekend. Xo
Hello yogis and yoginis! I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend full of good food, family, friends, and rest! Not only can we all celebrate the independence of America, but I vote we also make today a day to declare our own independence from negative self-talk. Have you ever stopped to listen to the negative tapes we play in our heads over and over again? Make today the day you hit stop on the negative tapes and press play on the tapes labeled “I am loved” “I am strong” “I am good enough”! Self-love is an imperative step to health and wellness of mind and body. Don’t fill your muscles, blood, and lymph with negativity, send yourself some compassion this day and onward. Remember, you are what you think! The mind is a powerful tool on your journey to wellness.
And in the spirit of Celebration…here’s my recommendation on the beer you should bring to your next event! Did you know that having 1-2 beers a night helps to raise your HDL (good cholesterol)? It totally does! And the best beer for a yogi is:
Lucky Beer! An Asian-style lager, its brewed and bottled in China before embarking on its global good-will journey. It features the seated laughing Buddha holding a large gold ingot above his head. Many believe this figure of Buddha to be a symbol of wealth, happiness, and life fulfillment. I love this bottle so much that I often hold on to it and use it as a vase! Have a great fourth everyone! Namaste.
Good morning! It’s Monday again and I am still on respite in Charlotte. It’s always so relaxing being here in a house full of love and warmth. And warm it is here in Charlotte! We finally got a good cleansing and cooling rain last night thank goodness.
I happened upon a blogger yesterday who had written a post about the midyear and it dawned on me…it is already the middle of 2010! I can’t believe how fast this year is going. I guess that’s a testament to all the activity around here lately. New puppy, wrapping up my BS in summer school, weddings, family get togethers, and lots of creating and writing! So now its time to check back in with my yearly goals and see how I’m doing and what I need to be focusing on for the rest of this year. Here are the goals I have set out for myself, some of which I’ve completed and others that are still being mulled over or are in progress:
- Finish BS – in progress! I’ve finished all my Health Promotions classes…all that’s left are a couple classes for my minor and my internship! yayy!
- Use social networking sites more often- Check! Creating a community online is so much fun! I’ve been keeping up with my blog baby, tweeting, and using tumblr as an inspiration board for all things health and wellness.
- Yoga practice everyday – This a lifelong process and always in progress! :)
- Teach more yoga – I have taught much more this year and I see quite a bit of teaching in my immediate future. Love teaching yoga! It keeps me whole and brings a whole new meaning to my own daily practice.
- Sew and use my Etsy – I managed to create a couple pieces as trial runs for an idea I had in the middle of the night. Hopefully this week I will have more time to get more pieces done and then make an Etsy for Yoga to Go! I have a long way to go here.
- Read some books for pleasure – Hasn’t really been accomplished yet. I was drooling over my wish-list on Amazon last night…maybe now is the time to order a good read :)
- Can food – I’ve done a couple things, but would love to do much more before the season is over. Peach butter, pickles, and strawberry jam have been the extent of it.
- Find the perfect Internship – Workin’ on it <3
- Work on Bridgette – love my baja beetle, but she is in need of some TLC…do I see moi in some work gloves changing her oil soon? I think so!
- Hike, swim, run…something other than yoga more often – I really need to challenge my body in new ways.
- Vlog more – I’ve created one vlog all year, but I’m in the middle of another gem coming out soon! Get excited :)
There they are! My top ten goals (plus one) all in a text box! So far I think I’m on my way to the completion of them all. Have you checked in on yourself for the halfway mark of this year? I hope you will. Namaste peeps! xo
Seriously. If you don’t have one…find one! It could change your entire day, even your life! My definition of a daily ritual is:
A. Something you do everyday without question.
B. Whatever “it” is, you do it mindfully! Key word: Mindfully!
- The ritual doesn’t have to be the same for the rest of your life. Choose what your ritual will be, commit to it for a certain amount of time, and then let the journey be a fluid experience.
- There are two ways to go about picking your daily mindful moment. You can choose something you ALREADY have in your daily routine and choose to do it mindfully. Examples of this are brushing your teeth, washing your hair, making tea, petting your dog/cat, etc. Or! You can come up with something you really want to add to your life and commit to that. Examples: Getting on the meditation cushion every morning, eating a meal without TV, or Taking a walk around the neighborhood.
- If you choose to add a new ritual to your life, please know that there will be days you won’t want to do it at all! Do it anyway. Sit with your thoughts asking yourself, “What am I feeling right now?”, accept the feelings, and just do it! I promise it will make your journey so fulfilling in the end. PROMISE.
- Your mindful moment should not have a cut-off time. Allow yourself the freedom to end your mindfulness when it feels right each day.
So how will having a ritual enrich your life? So many ways…lets talk about em’.
- Connection – to the Earth, your spirit, nature’s cycles, and your own cycles. In today’s fast-paced world with media overload and constant noise its nice to reconnect.
- Quiet the Mind – Being quiet and turning inward daily will help manage the monkeys in your mind. They need lots of managing! When your mind is still you are more balanced and can think more clearly about what really matters.
- Home Base – Pretty soon your moment will become your rock. It’s always there to help ground you and bring you back to center.
- The Physiological Simply observing the breath and turning inward helps manage our nervous system. This in turn helps with heart rate, anxiety, and tension. It’s all about you baby!
Ground yourself, feed your soul, get some closure, and connect with the divine. Have a daily mindful moment. Namaste.
The past two weekends I had the honor of teaching yoga at Crestwood Spa & Resort . It was so spacious to teach outdoors with the breeze, music, and the enormous sky overhead. The students were fabulous and very willing to explore new poses and a new style of yoga. They’re regular teacher is Blythe Kumari. She is sure to be fabulous because she graduated yoga school at Holy Cow Yoga! I plan to meet her this coming Saturday when I go back to Crestwood to be a student in her class. I have a couple private yoga sessions on the horizon, but other than that Yoga To Go is slowing down in the teaching department. Now that I’ve said that, I’m sure tons of new opportunities will come up! I’m thrilled to continue my role as student though…take some classes and soak up new knowledge.
If you’re in Boone this summer you should check out yoga class at Crestwood on Saturday’s from 10-11:30. I can’t tell you how peaceful and pampered you’ll feel afterword. Yoga mats, bottled water, and a towel are all provided and you are welcome to drop in even if you’re not staying at Crestwood. 15 dollars and it’s all yours!
Here’s to opportunities on the horizon and always remembering to keep your inner student alive. We’re always learning…always growing. Namaste!
Today has been eventful, but full of all the things I love to do! Seriously I don’t know where this burst of energy came from, but all of a sudden I was canning, sewing, and hiking! I even squeezed some yoga into my day for good measure. I woke up this morning and finished up canning some peach butter and pickles. Yum!
After the canning was complete…Stew and I left the cans to seal up and went on a hike! Would you like some peach butter?
There was yoga (fire-log hip opening goodness)…
Lots of hiking…
And lots of wet nose kisses
When we got home I decided it was time to revisit the sewing machine to get some creative energy out and I put together a quick drawstring bag! I don’t really LOVE the ribbon I used..but it’s what I had to work with. I do, however love the pattern! It was really simple to whip right up!
So that was my day today! It’s been full and wonderful. I hope you all are making space to feed your body and soul with creativity, yoga, and some local delicious food! Be well :)
Summer Solstice, or midsummer, is right around the corner. In fact its tomorrow! The 21st will be the day when the earth’s axis holds its greatest tilt towards the sun. It marks the longest day of the year and the beginning of summer. It has definitely felt like summer arrived early this year with all the heat, but that’s another story. So when you get on your mat tomorrow morning and salute the sun, take in the extra energy that will be pouring out upon us from the giant star in the sky.
Several traditions around the world celebrate the summer solstice by burning a bonfire all day and night. This is meant to celebrate the sun at its peak performance and to ask the sun not to withdraw back into winter. I won’t be creating any bonfires tomorrow, but I do plan to light a candle and keep it burning all day.
Summer solstice is also a time of reflection. Take a moment to take in the greenscape all around you and the growth of seeds you’ve planted. If you have projects that you’ve been working on or any other “seeds” you’ve planted. Now is the time to reflect on those and check in on their progress. Celebrate growth, love, and the world’s vitalizing energy within and around you. How are your seeds doing? I hope the solstice finds you well!
OH! and happy father’s day! Thanks for being here xo